Tuesday 20 September 2011

Book Review: Conspiracy in Death

Conspiracy in DeathConspiracy in Death by J.D. Robb

Publisher: Berkley Books

Category: Crime

Challenges: Mystery and Suspense Challenge, R.I.P. VI Challenge

Synopsis: Someone killed a homeless man. And then took his heart. To top it all of the police officer who first secures the scene seems to have it out for Eve.

My Thoughts: This book really explores how our job can become central to our identity, and what happens when that identity is taken away from us. Because of the unfounded accusations of an individual Eve is taken off the job as a police officer. For her this is devastating as being a police officer is central to, not only who she is, but also to her sense of security. For many years she had no control over her own life, being a member of the NYPD gave her this sense of control.

I find it interesting how often we tie our identity to something, when actually our identity is made up of very many different identities. Eve has a hard time seeing herself as anything but a police officer. She fails to see that apart from being a kick ass police officer she is also a wife, friend, lover. She is valued for things other than her ability to solve murder cases. Of course she is fantastic at this but I think she learns a valuable lesson in that she can be so much more.

Other favourite parts of this book? We meet Troy Trueheart for the first time. I do love Trueheart. Those who read this blog have probably noted my love for the series about Clare Fergusson and Russ Van Alstyne, and Trueheart reminds me so much of one of the characters in that series, Kevin Flynn. Both are young, eager police officers who want to learn. Who want to move forward. And who are honest and caring. The world needs more guys like that.

Signature

Copyright ©2011 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

2 comments:

Marg said...

I must confess that as soon as we met Troy Trueheart I thought that he was going to be a sacrificial lamb character! I was surprised that he made it to the end of the book!

Kailana said...

I really enjoy this series. I am really bad about actually reading it, though!