Thursday 25 August 2011

Book Review: The Tales of Beedle the Bard

Beedle the BardThe Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling

Publisher: Bloomsbury

Synopsis: The Tales of Beedle the Bard contains five richly diverse fairy tales, eachi with its own magical character, that will variously bring delight, laughter and the thrill of mortal peril.

Additional notes for each story penned by Professor Albus Dumbledore will be enjoyed by Muggles and wizards alike, as the Professor muses on the morals illuminated by the tales, and reveals snippets of information about life at Hogwarts” (taken from the back of the book because it was too good not to)

My Thoughts: This is the only Harry Potter book after Prisoner of Azkaban that I didn’t stalk the post box or wait in line at midnight for. I think that when it came out I was glutted for Potter. It was just to much to soon without being the real thing. But with the release of the final film where the book does play a large part I felt that I had to read it.

It was a very easy read, but I really appreciated the commentary around the different stories. Especially the part where Dumbledore comments on the banning of books. My current students are of the generation that grew up with Harry Potter (they were born in 1995) and I was already planning on talking about Banned Books Week and this book will provide me with an excellent introduction to the idea of book banning.

As far as the Potterverse this book doesn’t add anything earth shattering but it goes some way to rounding out both the final book and the life that wizards live. As with Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them and Quidditch Through the Ages this book donates parts of its profits to charity.

Signature

Copyright ©2011 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You reminded me I still haven't read this one.