Friday 10 June 2011

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

30

I am guessing it comes as no surprise to anyone who reads this blog that I enjoy owning books. I know there are book bloggers who love borrowing books and I am all for supporting local libraries and I do utilise them. But I have to admit I LOVE owning books. I love seeing them on my shelf. Lining them up. Organizing them. Some books are better owned so that you can refer to them often. Or just leaf through at will. I love all my books. They are all special to me in some way. However some books have a special story of how I came to own them and that makes owning that particular book a  little bit extra special. For me one such book is Where the Sidewalk Ends  by Shel Silverstein.

Where the sidewalk endsI spent two summers living with my friends the Curls*. During a random conversation it became clear that I had never heard of Shel Silverstein. My friends were appalled Winking smile. On a shopping trip we ended up in a B&N and when we left my friend handed me Where the Sidewalk Ends and told me that it was my Christmas present because everyone had to read it and I had to share it with my students. I was sceptical, I didn’t think my high school students would like it. My friend insisted they would. She was right. I was wrong. I have since shared this wonderful book with both my high school students and my beginner adult students. They all really enjoyed the whimsy and deep thought. Thank you Amy!

*The Curls is not their real name but rather their internet nickname Smile

Signature

Copyright ©2011 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

No comments: