Friday 3 June 2011

Day 15 – Favourite male character

30

Finally one that is easy! My favourite male character is definitely Russ Van Alstyne from Julia Spencer-Flemings series. So often in the books I read men are either relegated to the side-lines or are practically unobtainable for us mere mortals (I’m looking at you Roark).

Spencer-Fleming manages to make him into a very complex character. Russ is noble but human. He has faults but he also tries to do his best at all times. He admits that he isn’t perfect but that he is willing to learn. One of my favourite scenes with him is when he tells Hadley that the department is paying for the camp. He manages to be fatherly and caring yet not patronizing. He is chivalrous but knows that women are capable (I mean how could he not know that with his mom Open-mouthed smile).

Russ, also reminds me of some of my favourite guys (in the non-romantic scenes at least). I happen to currently work with a bunch of guys who are the same age as Russ (aka old enough to be my dad). They, like Russ, are always ready to help me when I need it. Not in a we-must-always-help-women-because-they-are-weaker way, but in a we-are-good-guys-so-we-help-people-who-need-it way.

If you want more on Russ check out this post from Julia’s Readers Space.

Signature

Copyright ©2011 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

No comments: