Thursday 9 June 2011

Audiobook Week: Audiobooks for the Uninitiated

AudiobookWeek

Today’s Audiobook Week topic is Audiobooks for the Uninitiated.

I love audiobooks but to be honest I am no expert. As I said earlier in the week I didn’t listen to that many audiobooks the last year. In last years Audiobook Week I talked about how I got started listening to audiobooks. I started because I had a long commute (an hour each way) through an area with very little radio reception. I found that late at night when I was returning home I couldn’t listen to music, it made me to sleepy. I needed voices that I had to concentrate on, but at the same time it couldn’t be stories I had to concentrate on because something would happen on the road and I would miss part of the story. So I listened, and re-listened to the Harry Potter books.

Since then I have become used to listening to audiobooks so that I can now do it even if I have to concentrate on something else (like driving) but I can’t concentrate on having to read or listen to anything else at the same time.

For me the biggest tip I can give to a new audiobook listener is to find a time and place that suits you. And start with a book you think sounds really interesting. And if at first you don’t succeed, try another one.

Signature

Copyright ©2011 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

1 comment:

Jen - devourer of books said...

I think your brain has to be wired a very special way to let you read and listen at the same time, I definitely can't do it.