Monday 2 May 2011

Book Review: A Hat Full of Sky

A Hat Full of SkyA Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett

Publisher: HarperCollins e-book

Category: YA Fantasy

Challenges: What’s in a Name

Synopsis: An ancient creature enters Tiffany’s mind and causes her to desire power.

My Thoughts: This book continues to follow Tiffany Aching.

Tiffany has now moved in with Miss Level to continue her training as a witch. At Miss Level Tiffany also meets a coven of younger witches. The creature that invades Tiffany’s mind feeds the desire one often sees in teenagers, a desire for power. The creature causes Tiffany to act in a way that is very out of character for her, but I think was realistic for a teenager trying to find themselves.

The introduction of the coven also allows Pratchett to explore the relationships amongst younger girls. The book shows that these relationships can be filled with jealousy and meanness but also that the girls can be fiercely loyal to each other and that even those who at first might not seem to be ones friends turn out to be the best friends.

I really enjoyed the book but to be honest it was over a month since I read it and I am having trouble articulating and remembering what I loved about it apart from those things that I always love about Pratchett’s books: his humour and his insights into that which makes us human. I also have to say that the Nac Mac Feegles are quickly becoming my favourite characters. They are hilarious but also caring.

Signature

Copyright ©2011 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

No comments: