Sunday 3 April 2011

TSS: 1st Quarter Round Up & Nordic Challenge Winner

The Sunday Salon.com

First off the winner of the 1st Quarter Nordic Challenge. Drum roll please!

First Q Nordic Challenge

The winner is entry 42:

Bernadette from Reactions to Reading with her review of 1222 by Anne Holt.

Bernadette if you could contact me and specify which bundle you want and what address you want it sent to, my e-mail is in the about section above.

I have one of Holt’s books sitting on my shelf that I will be reading later this year. It is one of the books I got at Bok & Bibliotek Fair in Gothenburgh. I got to meet Holt and she signed my book for me. She was super nice!

The 2nd Quarter Review page is up

Nordic Challenge Tips

If you are looking for some tips for books that fulfil this challenge I want to recommend one of the books from March’s Year of Feminist Classics. I read A Doll’s House  and thought it was fantastic. Several of the participants also read other plays by Ibsen and I am seriously considering doing so myself.

Zoe from Playing by the Book has continued her fantastic series about children’s books from around Europe which I blogged about here. Here are the links to the different countries:

The Swedish links feature some of my all time favourite children’s books and authors.

1st Quarter Round Up

Months-January6 by magic_artImage Credit

Belgarath the Sorcerer by David Eddings

The Unstrung Harp; or, Mr Earbrass Writes a Novel by Edward Gorey

A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft

Medea by Euripides

Months-February8 by magic_artImage Credit

Anne’s House of Dreams by L. M. Montgomery

Underbara dagar framför oss by Henrik Berggren

Rainbow Valley by L. M. Montgomery

Treachery in Death by J.D. Robb

Rilla of Ingleside by L. M. Montgomery

Months-March14 by magic_artImage Credit

Room by Emma Donoghue

A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (still to be reviewed)

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (still to be reviewed)

“The Waste Land” by T.S. Elliot

In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming (reviewed last year)

There are quite a few re-reads in there I’ll admit, the first quarter has been a period of change for me. I’ve started two new jobs while still balancing grad school. I am now taking a break from grad school for a while to concentrate on getting used to teaching. I’m hoping to get some more reading done in the next few months.

I am still working on War & Peace as well as re-reading the Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne books by Julia Spencer-Fleming in anticipation of the release of One Was A Soldier on the 12th. I am so super excited by that book! I can’t wait to find out what happens to all the characters I love so much. If you haven’t seen it yet, she is discussing some of her favourite scenes from the previous books in a countdown for the new book. I am also trying to write some non-review posts as well as to get caught up on my reviews.

Signature

Copyright ©2011 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

3 comments:

Bernadette said...

*Squee* I like winning - will send you contact details via email

Anonymous said...

Just wondering: Denmark isn't considered Nordic? I could imagine not, but it is Scandinavian, isn't it?

You got some nice book last quarter, hope you'll have a good spring read too.

Zee said...

Denmark is considered Nordic but the only Danish author I know is H.C. Andersen *is shamefaced*