Sunday 2 January 2011

TSS: 2010 Challenges Round-Up 2

The Sunday Salon.com

Week before last I did part 1 of my 2010 Challenges Round up. This week is round 2.

World Religion

My start of challenge post
Level: The Unshepherded Path
My List of Books:

  • Freedom in Exile by The Dalai Lama
  • Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers by Stephanie Levine
  • The Unlikely Disciple by Kevin Roose 
  • The Odyssey by Homer 
  • Om Gud (About God) by Jonas Gardell 
  • I would have liked to have read more books for this challenge but simply ran out of time. I did enjoy all of the books I read but if I had to pick a favourite it would have to be Mystics, Mavericks, and Merrymakers by Stephanie Levine. I enjoyed both the topic, girls in the Lubavic community and the way the book was written. Levine manages to present her subjects very well. I am glad that with the five books I cover four different religions.

    woolfbutton GLBT challenge

    My start of challenge post
    Level: Lambda 4 Books
    My List of Books:

  • Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
  • En komikers uppväxt (A Comedian Growing Up) by Jonas Gardell 
  • My Most Excellent Year by Steve Kluger
  • The Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson
  • Och jag läste att det var omöjligt att leva lycklig förutan dig (And I read that it was impossible to live happily without you) by Mark Levengood
  • Om Gud (About God) by Jonas Gardell
  • In my start of challenge post I set out to read 4 books by GLBT authors but hoping to read more. I’m glad I did manage this goal. One of the books was a re-read En komikers uppväxt (A Comedian Growing Up). I read it as a teenager and it had as much of an impact now as it did then. Out of the books I read I learned a lot in Om Gud (About God) by Jonas Gardell but my favourite was probably Och jag läste att det var omöjligt att leva lycklig förutan dig (And I read that it was impossible to live happily without you) by Mark Levengood it was just really sweet and funny.

    Flashback button

    My start of challenge post
    Level: Literati 6 Books
    My List of Books:

  • Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb
  • Madicken by Astrid Lindgren
  • The French Lieutenant’s Woman by John Fowles
  • Rapture in Death by J.D. Robb
  • Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery
  • En komikers uppväxt (A Comedian Growing Up) by Jonas Gardell
  • I could have added loads more books to this list but I’ve kept it to the six that I signed up for. Five of the six books are books I have loved. One I’m less fond of. The two In Death books are books I loved as an adult. I so love this series SmileMadicken by Astrid Lindgren and Anne of Avonlea are books I loved as a child. Madicken (the title character) was one of my childhood heroines as was Anne. I really must get back to my Anne re-read (which I will now that I have them for free on my new kindle (more on that later)). Finally the two books I read in high school: The French Lieutenant’s Woman and En komikers uppväxt (A Comedian Growing Up). I really enjoyed En komikers uppväxt but wasn’t that fond of The French Lieutenant’s Woman.

    really-old-classics3

    My Start of Challenge Post
    Level: 1 book
    1.  The Odyssey by Homer

    A challenge that only requires one book isn’t that hard to manage Smile. I really did enjoy the audiobook I listened to for this challenge. And look for more Greek classics on my blog in 2011.

    Signature

    Copyright ©2010 Zee from Notes from the North. This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

    3 comments:

    gautami tripathy said...

    Happy New Year to you and your family. Have a wonderful reading 2011!!!

    Here is my Sunday Salon post!

    JoV said...

    Hi Zee,

    If you are going to read Greek Classics in 2011, come join us at:

    http://readamyth.wordpress.com/

    and share your reviews for Read A Myth.

    Happy New Year!

    Booksnyc said...

    I did the Unshepherded Path for the World Religion Challenge too but sadly only read one book - Nine Parts of Desire. I had previously read Mystics, Mavericks and Merrymakers and liked that a lot!