Monday 19 April 2010

Weekly Geeks 13-2010: Poetry Month

WG Relaxing_thumb[3]

This weeks Weekly Geek asks:

April is National Poetry Month in the US and Canada. It is "a celebration of poetry first introduced in 1996 by the Academy of American Poets as a way to increase awareness and appreciation of poetry."
Now I'm not one for poetry but maybe I should learn more about this literary form. For this week's theme, I encourage participants to to help celebrate National Poetry Month by:

  • Posting a favorite poem, or
  • Reviewing a poem or book of poems, or
  • Discussing a favorite poet, or
  • Posting a vlog of yourself reading a poem or find a video of someone else reading one, or
  • Writing a poem yourself- any form

Or come up with something I haven't thought of to celebrate and post it on your blog. Let your imagination run wild.

PoetsMiniChallenge

I’m going combine mine with the POC Reading Challenge Mini-Challenge for April which asks us to do the same as above but with a poet of colour. Since one of my favourite poets is Langston Huges it was an easy combine. One of the most powerful poems by this author is the poem I, Too, Sing America. It is short but powerful. It speaks volumes.

I, Too, Sing America by Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.
I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.
Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.
Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--
I, too, am America.

Signature

Copyright ©2010 Zee from Notes from the North.clip_image001This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

2 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

Very nice.

Katy said...

This is beautiful. Thanks so much for participating in the mini-challenge!