Monday 26 April 2010

Book Review: Anne of Windy Poplars

Anne of Windy Poplars

Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery

Category: Classic

Synopsis: Anne is the principal of Summerside High School while Gilbert goes to medical school. The book takes the format of letters from Anne to Gilbert and describes the many colourful inhabitants of Summerside and Anne’s Adventures.

My Thoughts: I do love Anne I really do, but I have to admit that Windy Poplars isn’t my favourite. This time thought I decided I would try and figure out why. And I think I know the why now. I find the myriad of characters in the book confusing. There are so many characters that pop in for one or two chapters and then pop back out again never to be seen ever again. This would be fine if it wasn’t for the fact that Anne is supposedly really good friends with some of these characters. I am thinking specifically of the wedding where she is a bridesmaid. She is the bridesmaid for a girl we haven’t heard of before and never hear of again! I am left with a “what was the point” feeling at several points in the book. There are so many characters I find interesting and would like to get to know better. 

I do actually like the format of the book, the letters to Gilbert. It is such a nice way of getting glimpses into the life Anne lives, I am left feeling like I am part of it (which makes the appearance and disappearance of characters even more frustrating). By choosing this format Montgomery is able to hop from event to event without THAT feeling to disjointed. I don’t mind the skipping between events, but she could have used more of the same characters.

As always with Montgomery, I do love the language. It billows and flows. It is beautiful and imaginative and descriptive.  Just like Anne the magic of a place called Windy Poplar, located on Spook’s Lane is enough to pull me in and make me fall in love. It is just so provoking! I want to go there and see it, yet I CAN see it as I sit here at home in my own little gable room and read.  For that alone I do love the book, even if it is my least favourite.

I’ve got the US version titled Anne of Windy Poplar apparently there is a version called Anne of Windy Willows which has more in it. Has anyone read it? Apparently there are gory details in it. I feel like I’ve been cheated out of more Anne!

Purchase Anne of Windy Poplar from BookDepository.

Signature

Copyright ©2010 Zee from Notes from the North.clip_image001This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

3 comments:

Chrisbookarama said...

I've only ever read Windy Polars not Windy Willows. I don't think anything can be as good as Green Gables but I enjoyed this one too.

Care said...

I have only read the first Anne book and just loved it. But am hesitant to read any more. (that's just me - I tend to not read series books.)

Aarti said...

WHAT? There is another version? I never knew that! I also feel cheated.

This is my least favorite Anne book, too.