Thursday 18 March 2010

Booking Through Thursday: Sensual

btt2 Each week Booking Through Thursday asks a bookish question. This week the question is: Which do you prefer? Lurid, fruity prose, awash in imagery and sensuous textures and colours? Or straight-forward, clean, simple prose?

494px-Jean-Honoré_Fragonard_018

Well after my review of Anne of Avonlea it should come as no surprise that I am a fan of the “lurid, fruity prose”. I love a text filled with metaphors and similes, with imagery and colours. I am not only a bookworm but also a wordworm. Words make me happy. The more words the better.

380px-Plant_bookworm_in_Manchester_(side_view)

That said, choose your words well. I do not want ten words when one could have done. I don’t want a five syllable word when a one syllable word would have done. One of the things I find annoying in academic writing is the use of more complicated words than entirely necessary, all in an attempt to sound clever and intelligent.

trinity-college-library-dub

But for my fiction, give me flowers. Give me words. Give me imagery. Words Words Words and more words. Those are the things that make me happy.

The first two images are from wiki commons. The final image is of the Library at Trinity College Dublin, it seems to be in the public domain but if it is not let me know.

Copyright ©2010 Zee from Notes from the North.clip_image001This post was originally posted by Zee from Notes from the North. It should not be reproduced without express written permission.

2 comments:

Ana S. said...

I just love the expression "fruity prose" :D I'm definitely a fan of that as well.

Zee said...

I thought it was awesome! I became an instant fan :)