Thursday 4 February 2010

Weekly Geek 2010-4: Winter Reading

WG Relaxing_thumb[3]

For this week's Weekly Geeks, share with us the books which call out to you during the cold, wintry months. Are there genres which appeal to you most? Why do you think you are drawn to these types of books during winter? Do you have some book recommendations for other readers who are looking for some escape from the blustery weather? Give us some of your favorites and tell us why you recommend them.

As "extra credit" why not share some photos of what the weather looks like outside your home...or where you curl up to read when 'the weather outside is frightening.'

tea_cup_small

I know that murder mysteries are traditionally considered a summer beach read. But for me nothing says winter as much as curling up under a quilt with a nice cup of tea and a good ‘who done it’.

My favourites are J.D. Robb’s In Death Series and this winter I have also read Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Trilogy.

Part of it I think is because the past few winters I have also been reading a lot of classics for grad school and a good murder mystery balances the relatively heavy reading I have to do for class.

As for winter…well right now it is snowing and I am NOT going out into it. But here are some old winter pictures, some from last winter and some from this winter.

winter '09-'10 009

nature studies 025

We have about double this amount of snow now. There is an apple tree outside my window that looks like a bush not a tree, you can’t see the stem anymore.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Wow, look at all that snow! Beautiful!

I also like a good mystery read in the winter :)