Saturday 5 December 2009

South Asian Author Challenge: Introductory Post


S.Krishna is hosting a challenge in 2010 that has me really excited. It is dedicated to South Asian Authors. There are only two rules for the challenge
1) The author must be of South Asian descent.  It doesn’t matter if they’re third or fourth generation, or are only half South Asian – I’m pretty flexible on this issue.
2) The book must be about South Asia in some way.  It doesn’t have to be set in South Asia, as long as it’s about the culture or history in some way.  On the other hand, it can be set in South Asia and not be about South Asians.
The challenge has four different levels. Read 3, 5, 7 or 10 books.

The challenge runs from January 1, 2010 – December 31, 2010

I am aiming for the lowest level since I would rather upgrade than downgrade :) And because I am a compulsive list maker who needs lists in order to get anything done, these are the books I am planning on reading:

Haunting Bombay by Shilpa Agarwal. I read S.Krishna’s review of it earlier this year and I was intrigued!

The Forbidden Daughter by Shobhan Bantwal. Again this one was reviewed by S.Krishna and it sounds really good. Girls and their status in society is something that I find important on a personal level so reading this book should be emotional but good.

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. I’ve wanted to read this book ever since I read Lahiri’s Interpreter of Maladies for my grad school class. This book is also a cross read with the World Religion Challenge.

I am also seriously considering The Dowry Bride by Shilpa Agarwal as this also looks really interesting.

No comments: