Friday 11 December 2009

Flashback Challenge: Introductory Post

Flashback button

Growing up I had a bit of an issue. I loved re-reading books. To the point where some of our books are read to pieces (thanks to my lovely friend Ana I now have a new copy of These Happy Golden Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder which was no longer readable). Because of this this challenge is absolutely perfect for me. I will have no problem reaching the goal of six books. I’ll read more than that. Here are the rules:

 


The Flashback Challenge will run from January 1, 2010 - December 31, 2010.  If you're super-excited and want to reread a book before that, feel free, and let me know.  If many people do so, then I'll do a December challenge linky post and you can all link to it here.  Otherwise, we can hold them over to January.

You can sign up for the following levels:
Bookworm - Up to three books
Scholar - Four to six books
Literati - Over six books

Within these levels, we have mini-challenges!  These are:

1. Re-read a favourite book from your childhood
2. Re-read a book assigned to you in high school
3. Re-read a book you loved as an adult

Thus, if you sign up for the Bookworm level, you could ostensibly choose to read one book from each mini-challenge.  Or you could choose to do none of the above (though, granted, not sure what you could have possibly read that does not fit into either childhood, high school or adulthood).

Also, would just like to make clear that this isn't specifically limited to books you loved reading previously and want to reread.  It could also be a book you don't remember enjoying.  Or just don't remember reading.  It might be interesting to see how your perceptions may have changed.

 

I am aiming for the Literati. I have a list and I am not afraid to use it. Because I can’t find any rule against it I am using cross challenge books.

 

Books from my childhood:

Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery. I was always an Anne fan and Anne of Avonlea was probably the one I read the most in my early teens.

 

Madicken by Astrid Lindgren. Another self-assured spunky young girl. She too was a heroine of mine.

 

Books Assigned in High School:

En Komikers Uppväxt by Jonas Gardell. I am pretty sure it was high school by the time we were assigned this book. It is a funny and sad story about growing up in Sweden in the 70s.

 

Books I Loved as an Adult:

Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them (P.S.) by Francine Prose. I have a fondness for books about reading books and I read this one two summers ago and loved it. I figure it is time to revisit it.

 

Wild Swans : Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang. I had a boyfriend in college who I am still friends with. He had a fascination with China when we were going out and he read this book first and then insisted that I read it. Boy am I glad I did. It is a great book both about China but also about women. This will be a fond revisit.

 

I am also planning a revisit of the In Death series by J.D. Robb and The Mallorean Series by David Eddings.

 

This is of course all subject to change :)

1 comment:

Aarti said...

YAY! I'm SO thrilled you are participating in this challenge! I feel like I've read a lot about Wild Swans in the past two days, so I'm pumped to see what you think of it. And I haven't read most of the others on your list, so I am excited to hear about those, too!