Thursday 29 October 2009

Booking Through Thursday: The Back of the Book


Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme. 

Suggested by Jennysbooks:
Something I’ve been thinking about lately: “What words/phrases in a blurb make a book irresistible? What words/phrases will make you put the book back down immediately?

My short answer is, I don't know. Sometimes a book grips me. Sometimes it doesn't. Some books I read on recommendation of others that I wouldn't have picked up based on the the blurb. Some I have picked up based on the blurb and have hated. I don't actually know what grips me. I will say this though, any book that glamourises violence for the sake of violence and states it on the back will get a pass from me. Add to that the fact that I, right now, tend to stay away from books that are sad anything on the back that indicates sad without happy ending will get a pass from me. They can be fantastic books but really sad without the prospect of happy isn't for me right now.

All in all a book has to sound interesting for me to pick it up but what interests me can vary from day to day. I have a pretty varied taste.

No comments: