Monday 21 September 2009

Book Review: Queen of Sorcery

Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings
Category: Fantasy

Book two of Eddings saga The Belgariad takes us further into the mysteries of the missing important item (what it is is revealed) and we are introduced to new characters and new lands. Although the story picks up a few short weeks after the first book, Pawn of Prophecy, we meet a much more grown up Garion. What he has learned has taken him from a boy to a young man (although he still has quite a bit of growing up to do).

My thoughts: This is perhaps my least favourite book in the series (please don't stop reading it though). I just felt like it plodded a long to much. It was a bit to much of a set up for future books. Having read the whole series before I can see the necessity of it a bit more but I have to admit that some of it still bores me a bit. I also don't much like the portrayal of Garion in this book. I know teenage boys can be sullen and moody and I understand his frustration with the adults withholding information from him. But at the same time the way he treats people seemed off to me, even when I, myself, was in the throws of teenage angst. There seemed little need for it. Especially since he is also portrayed as a "sensible lad". All in all I understand the books importance for the overall story arc but as a stand alone novel I would probably have given up on it.

No comments: