Saturday 26 September 2009

Book Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry [Audiobook]

The Giver by Lois Lowry
Narrated by: Ron Rifkin

Synopsis: This is the story of Jonas, almost twelve. He lives with his Mother and Father and younger sister Lily. Jonas is a fairly typical boy. He goes to school, he plays with his best friend Asher and the other children. He loves to ride his bike. But when Jonas turns twelve something changes. Jonas meets the mysterious Giver and life will never be the same again.

My thoughts: Wow. Just wow. It has been a long time since a book stayed with me in this way. It was one of those books that you know has profoundly affected you but you are still not quite sure how. As a Teenager I loved one of Lowry's other books, Number the Stars. It really made me see courage in a different light. This book has affected me in a different way I think. The way the story is built up, the normalcy of it all, to have it changed makes you doubt and question your own perceptions. Lowry manages to make Jonas's feelings into the readers feelings. Although I am not a twelve year old boy I felt like I was feeling everything Jonas was feeling. Which for a book about feelings and memories is not only essential but also amazing. This was one of my banned books and although I can see why some would want it banned I think that it would be devastating! This book has so much to offer both purely stylistically and also as fodder for discussion. It is a book that one should not read and keep in their heart but rather one that should and must be talked about. This is truly an important book!

Audiobook: The narrator was superb. He didn't try and go to much into the voices of the characters. It wasn't really necessary. He slowed down and sped up in all the right places. He was masterful. I really could have done without the music that sometimes overlaid the narration. It desturbed me a lot actually. Especially when it was at an exciting place because I wanted to concentrate on the words not music!

11 comments:

Nina said...

Great review! I heard many good things about the book, and i really want to read it in the near future. :) I never tried an audio book, but I really want to asap.

Zee said...

Thank you! It really is a great book. I had been meaning to read it for ages as well and finally I decided to just do it :D. As for audiobooks, nothing compares to curling up with a regular book but I find for riding on the bus or when I am eating (I can't eat a proper meal with a book, my hands aren't strong enough) the audiobook is great. I really like audible because I get the book straight to my computer right then.

hopeinbrazil said...

Yes, this is definitely a "Wow" book. One of my favorites.

Laura said...

Great review!

I read this a couple of years ago with two of my daughters and we liked it. I also liked the two sorta-kinda-sideways sequels she wrote, too: Gathering Blue and Messenger.

Zee said...

Thank you both!

The two sequels have gone into my TBR pile. They looked really good as well but will have to wait a while. Next book is Brave New World.

Belle said...

This is one of my favorite books, too, and like you, I also loved Number the Stars. I agree with you about audiobooks. This time last year I was strictly in the "I don't like audiobooks" group but I've changed my mind completely about them!

Grain de Beaute said...

Hello Zee,

I was browsing through the book review posts for the Fall Into Reading Challenge when I stumbled upon your post. Wow. You just summed up the same thoughts I have with this book. I've read it a couple of months ago and was completely blown away. I didn't know it was on the Banned Book List until one of my friends told me. I loved the narrative of this novel and how Lowry connected Jonas with the reader. Such a great book and I would have wanted many people to read this book.

Virginia Lee said...

Wow really does describe this book well. My kids are still too young to read this, but I have it on the shelf for when they can.

rogersfamilycircus.blogspot.com/

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I didn't know some audio books had soundtracks. I agree that would be distracting! =S

Deb said...

Just stopping by from Cym Lowell's book review party to say Hi.

I love the photo in your about me section.

Katy said...

The Giver is a fantastic book. I read it last year--it was very thought-provoking!